Demography And Social Indicators
Indiana is a mid western state in the N Central United States. The state is bordered by Lake Michigan and the state of Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, across the Ohio R., and Illinois.
The state has a total geographical area of 36,418 sq mi; with a total land area of 35,876 sq mi; and total acres forested in the state 4.5 mil.
Though the state is considered to be a manufacturing state primarily, still about three quarters of the land is used for the purpose of the agricultural production.
Demography And Social Indicators
The total population of the state in July 2004 was calculated at 6,237,569 in comparison to the 6,195,643 in the previous year. The net change of the population of the state in 2002-03 was 0.6%.
The population density is 172.7 per sq mi.
With regards to the racial distribution (2000) the major groups are: 87.5% white; 8.4% black; 1.0% Asian and 0.3% Native American.
>Business and Economy of Indiana
The Gross State Product in the state as of 2001 was $ 189.9 bil. The per capita personal income (2003) was $ 28.783.
Among the various sectors of the economy in the state the Chief Industries are manufacturing, services, agriculture, government, wholesale and retail trade, transportation and public utilities.
The Chief Manufacturing goods of the state are primary metals, transportation equipment, motor vehicles and equipments, industrial machinery and equipment, electronic and electric equipment.
Major crops of the state are Corn, soybeans, nursery and green house products, vegetables, popcorn, fruit, hay, tobacco and mint. Important Livestock (Jan 2004): 830,000 cattle/calves; 45,000 sheep/lambs; (Jan 2003): 3.1 mil. Hogs/pigs; (Dec 2003): 28.9 mil. Chickens (excluding broilers).
Tourist Attraction Of Indiana
The important tourist attractions of the state are as follows:
- Lincoln Log Cabin Historic site, near Charleston;
- George Rogers Clark park, Vincennes;
- Wyandotte Cave;
- Tippecanoe Battlefield memorial park;
- Benjamin Harrison Home;
- Indianapolis 500 raceway and museum, all in dianapolis;
- Indiana Dunes, near Chesterton;
- National college football Hall of Fame, South Bend;
- Hoosier Natl. Forest, South Central Indiana.
Colleges, Schools and Universities In Indiana
- American Inter Continental University
- American Sentinel University
- The Art Institute Online
- By rant and Stratton College
- Capella University
- DeVry University Online
- Ellis College
- Grantham University
- Indiana Business College - Evansville, Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, Terre Haute
- Jones International University Online
- Kaplan University
- Kennedy-Western University
- National College of Business and Technology
- South University
- University of Phoenix Online
- Anderson University
- Ball State University
- Bethany Theological Seminary
- Bethel College
- Butler University
- Christian Theological Seminary
- Concordia Theological Seminary
- Crossroads Bible College
- Davenport University-South Bend Campus
- Depauw University
- Earlham College
- Franklin College
- Grace College and Theological Seminary
- Hanover College
- Huntington College
- Indiana Institute of Technology
- Indiana State University
- Indiana University-Bloomington
- Indiana University-East
- Indiana University-Kokomo
- Indiana University-Northwest
- Indiana University-Purdue University-Fort Wayne
- Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis
- Indiana University-South Bend
- Indiana University-Southeast
- Indiana Wesleyan University
- Martin University
- Mid-America College of Funeral Service
- Purdue University-Calumet Campus
- Purdue University-Main Campus
- Purdue University-North Central Campus
- Saint Josephs College
- Saint Mary-Of-The-Woods College
- Saint Meinrad School of Theology
- Taylor University-Ft Wayne
- Taylor University-Upland
- Trinity College of the Bible and Trinity Theo Sem
- Tri-State University
- Tri-State University-Fort Wayne Campus
- Tri-State University-South Bend Campus
- University of Evansville
- University of Indianapolis
- University of Saint Francis-Ft Wayne
- University of Southern Indiana
- Wabash College