South Africa Credit Cards
Please note that we are not authorised to provide any investment advice. The content on this page is for information purposes only.
South Africa Credit Cards are available in a wide range of options, supported by well developed electronic banking infrastructure. Visa and MasterCard are accepted by about 80% of the retailers and restaurants in the nation.
Credit Card South Africa: Types
There is a wide range of credit cards offered by the banks in South Africa, such as:
- Business Credit Cards: These cards offer expense management services that facilitate keeping track of outgoing business money. Additional credit cards for employees may be purchased for their business travel expenses.
- Garage Credit Cards: These cards can be used for easy payment of fuel, oil, parts, services and tollgates.
- Co-branded Credit Cards: These cards are issued in association with airline, cell phone and retail chain brands.
South Africa Credit Cards: Major Issuers
The four major banks in South Africa issue credit cards:
- ABSA: Established in 1991, this bank is a wholly owned subsidiary of ABSA Group. The credit cards offered by the bank are the Silver, Gold, Platinum, Gold Graduate and Aviation Credit Cards.
- The First National Bank (FNB): Founded in 1987, this is a wholly owned South African company. The bank offers Smart, Silver, Gold and Platinum credit cards.
- Nedbank: Smallest of the four largest banking groups in South Africa, the ordinary shares of Nedbank have been listed on JSE Limited since 1969. The credit cards offered by the bank include the Greenback, Classic and Gold cards.
- Standard Bank: Established in 1862, it was listed on the JSE in 1970. The bank offers the Blue, Gold, Platinum, British Airways Gold and Orlando Pirates credit cards.
Other banks that issue credit cards in South Africa include:
- Go Banking
MasterCard and Visa are accepted by more merchants than American Express and Diners Club in South Africa. Special garage or petrol cards are available for petrol purchases, so fuel cannot be purchasing using credit cards. However, road tolls can be paid for with MasterCard or Visa. Some small towns do not have credit card facilities.