Invest in Disney UK – Invest in Disney Shares Today!
Disney stock has great potential and has remained fairly steady during the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite the temporary closure of its theme parks, the company’s streaming service, Disney+, had a record year in the UK marketplace.
To access DIS shares, you will need to sign up with a reputable broker with access to the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). Today, we detail how to invest in Disney in the UK, alongside a discussion on the best share dealing platforms for the job.
#1 Stockbroker to Invest in Disney UK – eToro
How To Invest in Disney UK – Choose a Stockbroker
As we briefly mentioned, to invest in Disney in the UK, you will need to access the US markets. We’ve listed the best and safest places to do this below. Each broker is regulated and offers low-cost investing opportunities.
- eToro – Overall Best Place to Invest in Disney UK
- Capital.com – Trade Disney Shares in the UK at 0% Commission
If you still aren’t sure about the best broker for your needs, you will find a full review of each provider further down. It’s also important to prepare for your investing endeavors by conducting research yourself.
How to Invest in Disney UK – A Quick Guide For 2021
Creating an account with a stockbroker to invest in Disney in the UK is easy – if you choose the right platform. eToro is regulated by the FCA, provides access to the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), and you can buy fractional Disney shares.
Below, you will see a quick sign-up guide to create an account and invest in Disney today!
- Step 1: Open an Account with eToro – Join eToro by completing the sign-up box. You will be required to fill in your name, address, email, phone number, and a few other details surrounding your identity
- Step 2: Upload Your ID – The FCA regulates the eToro platform. As such, you must complete the KYC process. This way, you will have a fully operational account that you can withdraw from. When prompted by eToro, upload your photo ID and also a bill or letter from a bank or utility company. This usually takes minutes as the broker will use automated ID validation to confirm your details
- Step 3: Deposit Funds – Add some funds to your new account so that you can invest in Disney. eToro is denominated in USD, so there is a small conversion fee of 0.5% to change your GBP to US dollars. Pick one of the many payment methods that are accepted and complete the form, including the amount to deposit. eToro stipulates a beginner-friendly deposit of $50 (about £36) and over. When you have checked your details, confirm and move to Step 4
- Step 4: Search for Disney – You will find in excess of 2,500 stock markets listed at eToro. To find the desired shares, you can type DIS or Disney into the search bar. When you spot the correct asset, click it to proceed to Step 5 and invest in Disney
- Step 5: Invest in Disney – As the order box appears, ensure it states ‘Buy DIS’ and add the amount of money you want to allocate to buy Disney shares. Confirm your choices and you will soon see that your investment has been added to your eToro portfolio
If the order form says the market is closed, not to worry. US stock exchanges, such as the NYSE, trade between 14:30 and 21:00 GMT. As such, if you are trading out of hours, instead of clicking ‘Open Trade’, press the ‘Set Order’ button. eToro will complete your order when the market reopens. Until then, you will find it listed as ‘Pending’ in your portfolio.
67% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
Where to Invest in Disney UK – Full Stockbroker Reviews
When you decide to invest in Disney in the UK, you are also buying shares in one of the most popular streaming stocks in the world right now. In the sections below, you will find reviews of our top brokers providing access to the NYSE and Disney shares.
1. eToro – Overall Best Place to Invest in Disney UK
eToro is the best broker for people looking to invest in Disney in the UK. This is because the platform has access to more than 2,500 stocks, from numerous marketplaces. This includes the UK, the US, and many other international stock exchanges. If you would like to take a slow and steady approach to investing in Disney, you can buy shares from just $50 here. This low investment of around £36 allows you to purchase approximately 0.29 units of a share.
When you are ready to sign up, you can start by answering a few questions about your identity. The whole KYC process is quick and easy at eToro. Attach a copy of a photo ID, besides a utility bill, to validate your address. You can fund your account with a low minimum of $50 here and there are multiple deposit types you can choose from. For instance, if you aren’t concerned with investing in Disney today, you can select a wire transfer from the list, which can take between 3-5 working days to reach your account.
The fastest options to fund your account include debit and credit cards. Most major cards are supported. You might also use PayPal, Skrill, Neteller, and other e-wallets to make a deposit. When adding funds as a non-US client, you will need to pay a small fee. 0.5% is charged to swap your British pounds for the US dollars that the site is operated in. This brokerage holds a license from some of the biggest regulators in the world, including the FCA, ASIC, and CySEC.
Another major draw to eToro is that the broker charges 0% commission on stocks and ETFs. This means all you will be charged to invest in Disney is the spread. This guide found the bid/ask gap to be tight across the site. Furthermore, if you were to invest in a UK stock, like Ocado for instance, eToro takes on the cost of the stamp duty. This is a saving of 0.5% on every UK-listed investment.
Have you considered buying shares without placing orders yourself? This can be achieved at eToro by investing in Copy Trading. Let’s imagine you find CopyMe123, who prefers investing in stocks. Next, you allocate $1,000 to them. CopyMe123 then risks 30% of their total funds to DIS and 20% to NFLX. As such, in your portfolio, you will see the same investments, but in proportion. In this instance, you would have $300 worth of Disney shares and $200 with Netflix.
- Invest in stocks at 0% commission and ZERO stamp duty
- Minimum investment per stock investment is $50
- Supports debit/credit cards, e-wallets, and UK bank transfers
- Regulated by the FCA and covered by the FSCS
- Used by over 20 million people
- Perfect for beginners
- Social and copy trading tools
- Perhaps too basic for technical traders
- No support for MT4 or MT5
67% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
2. Capital.com – Trade Disney Shares in the UK at 0% Commission
Capital.com is regulated by the FCA for your safety. Furthermore, the broker charges 0% commission on stocks, so it’s only the spread that you need to cover. Notably, you won’t take ownership of the underlying Disney shares when placing orders here. To explain further, you will trade Disney stocks via CFDs, based on the direction you predict the market to go. Disney CFDs track the value of the real DIS shares, allowing you to make gains from rising or falling markets.
Place a sell order if you think Disney will fall, and a buy if you see the price rising. Share CFDs also allow you to trade using leverage. This is comparable to a loan from Capital.com. You can access as much as 1:5 when trading Disney shares. This means if you were to risk £1,000 of your own money, the broker will amplify the stake to £5,000. If you speculate incorrectly, your losses will also be multiplied by 5, so use leverage with extreme vigilance.
You can get the ball rolling with just £20 at Capital.com, and make a deposit using e-wallets, credit/debit cards, and wire transfers. If you are in a hurry to access Disney CFDs, avoid the wire transfer option. This can take up to 3-5 days and also requires a higher minimum of £250. If you have some experience in trading stock CFDs, you may find this platform too basic. On the other hand, newbies will appreciate the range of educational content surrounding CFD trading.
- Top-rated spread betting and CFD broker
- Licensed by the FCA
- £20 minimum deposit (debit/credit cards and e-wallets)
- 0% commission on all markets
- Tight spreads and no fee on deposits or withdrawals
- Supports thousands of financial markets
- Convenient for newbies
- Experienced traders might consider the broker too basic
- £250 minimum deposit on bank transfers
Spread bets and CFDs are complex instruments and come with a high risk of losing money rapidly due to leverage. 76.25% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading spread bets and/or CFDs with this provider.
How to Invest in Disney UK – Detailed & Explained in Full
The idea of signing up with a broker to invest in Disney in the UK might be daunting. However, getting your foot in the door and buying US-based shares is easier than ever! See a detailed walkthrough below – where we will explain how to sign up with eToro.
This was the winner of the overall best place to invest in Disney in the UK. The broker has licenses from three bodies, including the FCA. You can invest small amounts of $50 and up, choose between tons of deposit methods, and the platform even allows you to invest in Disney at 0% commission.
Step 1: Open a Stockbroker Account
Head to the eToro platform and you will see a button labeled ‘Join Now’. Click this to begin. At this point, you can fill in the blanks, including a username and password, first and last name, email address, and telephone number. The broker will need a few more details surrounding who you are. This will invariably include your home address, date of birth, and your nationality.
The best brokers to use to invest in Disney in the UK will be authorized by the FCA. eToro is one such broker, so it must identify you and validate the information you have provided. This is uncomplicated and speedy, meaning you can invest in Disney in no time.
Many investors use a passport to show their name and date of birth. The platform can validate your address with a bank statement or tax bill. If you don’t have these documents, there are alternatives to choose from. You will find these listed on the eToro website.
67% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading CFDs with this provider.
Step 2: Deposit Investment Funds
To invest in Disney in the UK, you need money in your broker account to buy the desired number of shares. Click ‘Deposit Funds’ and start by entering the amount you want to add. The minimum is $50, which is around £36. Many stockbrokers in this space stipulate an amount of £200 and over as the first deposit, so this platform is highly suitable for beginners.
As you can see, there is a string of supported payment types. This guide found everything from Mastercard, Maestro, and Visa, to e-wallet options like Neteller and PayPal. Another option is a wire transfer. You should only opt for the latter if you don’t mind waiting several days to invest in Disney shares.
Step 3: Search for Disney
To find your chosen stock, start to type Disney. As you can see, on this occasion, DIS is the first asset revealed.
Click ‘Trade’ to confirm your selection and invest in Disney in the UK.
Step 4: Invest in Disney UK
By Step 4, you should have a fully functional and funded account. As such, you can now invest in Disney from the comfort of your home by completing the eToro order form. You will need to enter an amount in the relevant box. This will tell the broker how much you are willing to allocate to your Disney investment. Here, we are investing $200 (around £145).
You can buy Disney shares in the UK with small amounts at eToro, as long as it is a minimum of $50 (around £36). At the time of writing in mid-October 2021, this would get you a fraction of a single Disney share at 0.29 units.
Note: Click ‘Set Order’ if you are trading outside of the hours 14:30-21:30 GMT. This is because the NYSE will be closed. Nonetheless, eToro will complete your investment the moment it opens.
Step 5: How to Sell Disney Shares UK
Working on the assumption that you invest in Disney shares at FCA-regulated stock brokerage eToro, see below how to cash out.
- First, you will need to locate your Disney shares
- To the left of the main dashboard at eToro, you will see your personal trading area
- Click Portfolio to view the list of markets you’ve invested in
- Select Disney and place a sell order
- eToro will buy the stock back from you, at the current value
- You will find that the money from the sale of your Disney shares has been added to your eToro cash account
Many people choose to reinvest profits made from cashing out. As such, at this point, you could place another order to invest in an alternative market. However, this is a personal choice. Alternatively, you could make a withdrawal to your original payment method, or just leave it in your trading account for future endeavors.
Buy Disney Shares UK – Best Place to Invest in Disney UK
When you are on the search for the best place to invest in Disney shares in the UK, don’t be hasty. The stockbroker you choose should be able to provide you with access to a low-cost and safe platform, suitable for investors of varying skill-sets.
Before you elect to access the NYSE to invest in Disney, you can also check out the other key factors to look out for below:
- Does the broker hold a license from the FCA?
- Explore the broker site. Do you find it easy to navigate and understand?
- How will you fund your account? By this we mean, are there many payment types accepted?
- Are there other stock markets listed, both locally and internationally? You might want to diversify later
- Is the stock trading platform able to facilitate fractional investments in Disney?
- Will the broker accept GBP deposits to access US stocks?
Whilst this seems like a lot to think about, when investing your hard-earned cash in stocks, you shouldn’t settle for less than the best. eToro ticks all of the right boxes, including regulation from the FCA. Plus, the site is easy to use.
Moreover, you can use a multitude of deposit methods and there are over 2,500 stocks listed. If that’s not enough, you can invest in Disney in fractional amounts from $50. eToro will convert your GBP to USD for a low fee of 0.5%.
Is Disney a Good Stock to Buy?
Let’s take a look at some important data surrounding DIS stock, to help you decide whether you should invest in Disney.
Disney Stock Price History
There isn’t a shortage of places to invest in Disney in the UK. People from far and wide have been buying shares in this company over the counter since 1940. Disney stocks went public on the NYSE in 1957 at $13.88 each.
Since then, the company has had 8 stock splits, see below:
- In 1962, the first stock split took place. For every 100 Disney shares owned, holders were given 103
- 5 years later, in 1967, a 2-for-1 split was actioned, the price pre-split was $105
- In 1971, another 2-for-1 stock split happened. Before the split, Disney was trading at $177.75
- By 1973, Disney split its stock by 2-for-1 again. Pre-split shares were $214.50 each
- In 1986, a 4-for-1 stock split was actioned. Before this, Disney was trading at $142.63
- Another 4-for-1 split happened in 1992. Pre-split, Disney shares were at $152.87
- In 1998, Disney shares were split 3-for-1. Prior to the split, Disney was $111.00
- Finally, in 2007, for every 1,000 shares owned, investors were given 1,014.
- Today, in mid-October 2021, a Disney share is valued at around $175
Taking the aforementioned stock splits into account, had you initially bought 1,000 shares in Disney in 1957, you would now own around 40,1057.28. This means that although Disney shares were originally listed at $13.88 each, based on its various stock splits, this actually works out at just $1.09.
Do Disney Pay Dividends?
Disney paid a semi-annual cash dividend for many years, totaling billions of dollars. However, due to the pandemic, Disney stopped paying dividends in October 2020.
If whether you invest in Disney is riding on the company paying dividends – there is hope yet. A spokesperson for Disney recently stated that there is a possibility of dividends being reinstated in the long term. However, a specific date is yet to be provided.
Should I Invest in Disney?
To help you make a decision on whether or not to invest in Disney shares in the UK, you can see the findings of our research team below. This covers Disney’s long-term growth. As well as other information surrounding what products and services the company offer.
Disney Shares Long-Term Price Growth
When you look to invest in Disney, you are buying shares in a worldwide media and entertainment conglomerate. As we touched on earlier, it’s crucial to take a look at the price history of any company before investing in it.
As such, let’s take a quick look at the price growth of Disney over the years:
- On March 2nd, 1990, you could buy Disney shares in the UK at $9.09 each
- By December 8th, 1995, Disney was trading 123% higher at $20.33
- Just two years later, on November 28th, 1997, Disney shares were $31.65
- Disney stock fell again, and 5 years later, in September 2002, a share in Disney was valued at just $15.36
- 10 years later, on September 14th, 2012, Disney was trading on the NYSE at $120
As we touched on earlier, at the time of writing, in mid-October, 2021, Disney is trading at around $175. You might be wondering how these price fluctuations affect you when you invest in Disney in the UK.
Let’s hypothesize that you had bought shares in Disney in September 2002, when they were trading at $15.36. If you held on to them and decided to cash out your investment now, you would be looking at gains of 1,039%!
Disney World is Fully Booked
Many market commentators believe that life is beginning to return to something like normal across most sectors and industries. Post-lockdown, Disney’s theme parks have now reopened, although not to full capacity.
Despite some rides being closed, at least two of Disney’s theme parks are fully booked for the foreseeable future. This will be great for the company’s revenue and shows that the firm is not waning in terms of loyalty and popularity.
Now could be the time to invest in Disney in the UK. After all, the company’s own resorts and parks created revenue of almost $1 billion in the third quarter of 2021. This was higher than expected and also 100% greater than the prior year With higher attendance levels, and multiple parks and resorts, the company’s total forecasted revenue for 2022 is at over $85 billion.
Disney Services Increases in Popularity
When you invest in Disney in the UK, it’s clear that you aren’t just investing in an animation company. Disney now boasts a TV station, film studio, production company, cruises, and much more. All of these projects bring in money, which helps the company, and therefore your investment, grow.
See some of the Disney subsidiaries below:
- Disney purchased LucasFilm, which owns the popular Star Wars franchise
- The company also bought Marvel Entertainment in 2019, owner of hugely popular superheroes such as Iron Man, and Spider-Man
- Disney+ was launched in November 2019, and the popularity of the streaming service continues to surge
- In just 5 months last year, the service attracted 50 million subscribers
- More than 116 million people have since signed up by the third quarter of 2021
- Disney originally predicted that between 60 and 90 million people would subscribe by 2024
- Following the success of Disney+, the company now forecasts a number closer to 230-260 million by 2024
Furthermore, when you invest in Disney in the UK, you are also buying into a company that owns the Pixar animation studio. Pixar is most famous for the creation of Toy Story and Cars. Disney forked out over $7 billion for Pixar studios and its shares increased by 1.8% once the announcement was made. When Disney released The Lion King as a live-action animation, shares opened at 1% higher than the previous day.
With Disney’s streaming service adding new material all the time, and more subscribers than ever – now could be a good time to invest in Disney in the UK. Some stock commentators believe that Disney will overtake the likes of Netflix, in terms of the global online streaming service market share.
Ways to Invest in Disney UK
There are multiple ways to invest in Disney in the UK. You might have a preferred deposit method in mind already, or perhaps you aren’t sure what your options are.
With this in mind, next, you will find a full list of commonly supported ways to buy Disney shares in the UK.
Invest in Disney With Debit Card
Investing in Disney with a debit card is simple enough. However, no two brokers are the same – so make sure your chosen platform accepts it. eToro is compatible with debit card deposits and only charges 0.5%, which is to trade your GBP for USD (the site is denominated in US dollars).
Invest in Disney With Credit Card
The same applies when you want to invest in Disney with a credit card. Before creating an account and going through the KYC process, make sure you will be able to make a deposit with a credit card. eToro supports cards from most major providers, with that small 0.5% charge previously mentioned.
Invest in Disney With Paypal
PayPal is synonymous with safe and encrypted online payments. Many UK brokers won’t accept PayPal as a payment method, and some charge hefty fees. eToro supports PayPal, with only the 0.5% FX fee.
Risks of Investing in Disney in the UK?
When investing in any asset, the hope is that you take a risk and get a reward. This is the case regardless of whether you want to trade stocks in the short-term or invest on a long-term basis. As such, when you invest in Disney in the UK, you should have your eyes open to the risks.
- There is always the risk that you invest in a whole Disney share and the company underperforms
- This can be mitigated by opting to invest in Disney in fractional amounts
- You can also offset some risks by avoiding overexposure
- For instance, you could invest in Disney, and also its perceived competitor, Netflix
With all that said, many market commentators believe the risk is worth taking when buying Disney shares. As we explained, Disney offers more products, services, and experiences than ever before and is having no problem getting subscribers, viewers, and ticket holders.
The Cost of Investing in Disney in the UK?
When you are researching how to invest in Disney in the UK, you will probably be aware that accessing the NYSE will come at a charge. A stock brokerage is a business. Such platforms need to make money to provide you with a service.
Thus allowing you to buy Disney shares from international stock markets in such a convenient way. Below we offer a breakdown of the fees you will be most likely to pay to invest in Disney in the UK.
Brokerage Deposit Fees
The deposit fee is a widespread practice at stockbrokers. This will be charged every time you add funds to your account. You may find that some payment methods come with a higher charge than others.
Share Dealing Fees
Another commonly seen charge when you invest in Disney is the share dealing fee. For anyone in the dark, this is a charge you must pay to both enter and exit your chosen stock market.
See some examples:
- Saxo Markets specifies a share dealing fee of £8 on each and every transaction
- If you invest in stocks at Hargreaves Lansdown, you will need to pay the broker £11.95 per deal
- eToro will charge you nothing in share dealing fees, which is a major standout benefit
You should always be aware of the fee framework of the broker in question. It’s clear to see why eToro came out as the overall best broker to invest in Disney shares in the UK. The broker only charges a 0.5% fee when you make a deposit with British pounds, to swap it for US dollars.
When you invest in Disney in the UK, you are buying shares listed on a US stock exchange. Because of this, you will be quoted in US dollars when viewing stock market prices at your chosen brokerage.
Next, we offer a quick comparison of FX fees from different brokers:
- If you invest in Disney in the UK via the aforementioned Hargreaves Lansdown, you will pay a 1% FX fee
- eToro just takes the previously mentioned 0.5% conversion fee – which you pay when depositing funds into your account
Whilst this doesn’t sound like much, it can soon eat away at funds you may have otherwise used to buy Disney shares. Plus, don’t forget that when using Hargreaves Lansdown, you also need to cover the £11.95 share dealing charge, which is in addition to the aforementioned FX fee!
How to Invest in Disney UK – Conclusion
The environment a broker provides, when you invest in Disney in the UK, will be a large part of your experience. This is where you will create orders to buy shares in international markets. The platform you select will also influence how much it costs you to purchase your desired number of stocks.
We uncovered the best places to buy Disney shares in the UK and the number one pick was eToro. The platform operates under the watchful eye of the FCA, amongst other bodies. You can fund your eToro account with credit/debit cards, wire transfers, and e-wallets like PayPal.
There is a small FX fee of 0.5% to pay when funding your account. After this, you can invest in Disney in fractional amounts starting at $50, whilst paying 0% commission. The platform is simple to navigate and also makes cashing out your investment stress-free and convenient.