Missouri Economy - Social Indicators
Missouri is one of the midwestern states of the United States. The state is bordered by lllinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee, across the Mississippi R, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska, and Iowa.
The state has total geographical area of 69,704 sq mi; with a total land area of 68,886 sq mi; and total acres forested 14.0 mil. The state economy solely relies upon the Industries.
The total estimated population of the state as of 2005 was 5,800,310 in comparison to the 5,754,618 in July 2004. The net change in the population of the state 2002-03 was 0.6%.
According to the US Census 2000, the total population of the state is 5,595,211.
The population density was 82.8 per sq mi.
With regards to the Racial Distribution (2000): White 84.9%; Black 11.2%; Asian 1.1%; Native American 0.4%.
Business and Economy of Missouri
According to the Bureau of Economic analysis, the total state product in 2003 was $195 billion with a Per capital personal income of $29,464, 27th in the same year.
Among the sectors of the economy, the Chief industries include agriculture, manufacturing, aerospace and tourism.
Important Manufacturing goods of the state are transportation equipment, food and related products, electric and electronic equipment and chemicals.
Major Crops of the state are soybeans, corn, wheat and hay.
Livestock of the state (Jan 2004): 4.35 million cattle/calves; 60,000 sheep/lambs; (Jan 2003): 2.95 million hogs/pigs; (Dec 2003): 8.3 million chickens.
Apart from this Lead, cement and stones are chief mineral products of the state.
Energy Production In Missouri
Electricity Production (est. 2003, kwh by source): Coal 73.9 bil; Petroleum 156 mil; Gas 1.8 bil;
Hydroelectric: 448 mil; Nuclear 9.7 bil; Other 122 mil.
Tourist Attraction Of Missouri
The important tourist places of the state are as follows:
- Silver Dollar City, Branson.
- Mark Twain Area, Hannibal.
- Pony Express Museum, St Joseph.
- Harry S. Truman Library, Independence;
- Gateway Arch, St Louis;
- Worlds of fun, Kansas City;
- Lake of the Ozarks;
- Churchill Memorial, Fulton;
- State Capitol, Jefferson City.
Colleges, Schools and Universities In Missouri
- Avila University
- Baptist Bible College
- Central Bible College
- Central Methodist University
- Columbia College
- Concordia Seminary
- Cottey College
- Crowder College
- Culver-Stockton College
- DeVry University Kansas City
- Drury University
- Evangel University
- Greenleaf University
- Harris-Stowe State University
- Heritage College & Heritage Institute
- Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Lincoln University
- Lindenwood University
- Logan College of Chiropractic
- Maryville University
- Missouri Baptist University
- Missouri Southern State University
- Missouri State University
- Missouri Valley College
- Missouri Western State University
- Northwest Missouri State University
- Park University
- Rockhurst University
- Southeast Missouri State University
- Southwest Baptist University
- Stephens College
- University of Missouri
- Webster University
- Westminster College
- William Jewell College