An industry report is a comprehensive account of a particular industry, containing a depth of information, facts and statistics. Industry reports could be private (distributed among industry insiders or paid subscribers) or public (accessible to everyone). Industry reports are either paid or free.
Who Prepares an Industry Report?
Industry reports are prepared by various parties, including:
- Government Agencies: They prepare and compile various industry reports to judge the overall economic health of the nation. Examples of these are reports by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) and International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Research Firms: These firms conduct market surveys and compile different industry reports and sell them to companies and government organizations. These reports are purchased to facilitate decision marking. Standard & Poor’s is one of the most popular research firms.
- Individual Companies: Different companies in an industry prepare industry reports for their own use in order to facilitate decision marking and internal management. These industry reports are generally not available to outsiders.
Industry Report: Components
An industry report generally contains the following:
- Industry definition: An industry report includes a comprehensive definition of the industry, mentioning what the industry includes and what comes outside its purview.
- Major industry players: It mentions the names and other relevant information about major companies that generate the largest revenue in the industry.
- Market share: The report presents a breakdown of the different markets of the industry and its share in each market.
- Historical and current trends: These trends include the facts and figures (such as revenue, sales and profits) of various companies in the industry. Historical trends in the industry are generally presented for five to ten years and the current trend pertaining to the prior financial year.
- Employment statistics: It includes an account of the total employment figures and distribution in different companies within the industry. Key statistics also include the composition of men and women in the labor force.
- SWOT analysis: This is an overall analysis of the industry in terms of its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Achievements: It mentions the significant milestones and achievements of the industry. This could include new innovations in the industry or the industry’s contribution to social-economic development.
- Outlook: The report includes the prospects of the existing companies in the industry as well as the scope for new players.
An industry report contains graphs, charts and tables, generally supported by written commentary. This enables even non-professionals to get an understanding of the industry.