Demography And Social Indicators
Alabama is considered as a business hub not only in the United States but also over the globe by attracting the world-class companies to locate in the heartland of the South. It is the center of attraction for the new and expanding businesses.
Demography And Social Indicators
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Center for Business and Economic Research, the country constitutes an area of 51,718 square miles (133,950 km2), including 968 sq. mile (2,507 km2) of inland water but excluding 519 sq. mi. (1,343 km2) of coastal water.
The total population of the state according to the 2003 estimated data was calculated at 4,500,752 with a rank of 23. The rate of change in the population in 2002-03 was 0.5%. The density of population in the state was 88.7 per square miter.
The unemployment rate of the state was 5.8 % in the year 2003.
Business and Economy of Alabama
The Gross state product of the economy was was $121.5 Billions in the year 2001. The per capita personal income of the state in the year 2004 was $27,795.
Among the various sectors of the economy, the major industries include Pulp and paper, Chemicals, electronics, apparel, textiles, primary metals, lumber and wood products, food processing, fabricated metals, automotive tyres, oil and gas exploration.
The chief manufacturing products of the state are electronics, cast iron and plastic pipe, fabricated steel products, ships, paper products, chemicals, steel, mobile homes, fabrics, poultry processing, soft drinks, furniture and tyres.
The chief crops of the state are cotton, green house and nursery, peanuts, sweet potatoes, potatoes and other vegetables.
The major livestocks of the state in the Jan.2004 were 1.36 mil. Cattle/calves, Jan 2003 were 165,000 hogs/pigs, Dec 2003 were 14.4 mil. Chickens (Excluding broilers).
Natural Resources In Alabama
The state possesses a huge reserve of coal, lignite, limestone, marble, sand, gravel and clay resources. Apart from them the state’s soils support a diverse and global agri-business industry, with top national rankings in such commodities as catfish, broilers, peanuts, sweet potatoes, and Irish spring potatoes. From an approximation it is found that ten percent of the nation's surface water resources pass through Alabama.
Exports of The State
The major exports of the state include automotive; forest products; industrial machinery including computers; organic chemicals; plastics and plastic articles; oil seeds, miscellaneous grain, seed, fruit, plants; aircraft, spacecraft, and parts; apparel articles and accessories (except knit) etc.; and miscellaneous chemical products.
However the state is situated in the center of the fastest-growing region in the country, the Southeast United States. Being located on the Gulf of Mexico it is really a gateway to the rapidly growing markets in Mexico, Central America and South America.
The state is capitalizing on NAFTA through participation in such agreements as the States of the Gulf of Mexico Initiative, a regional effort designed to promote economic, educational and cultural exchanges between Mexican and U.S. states.
Tourist Attraction Of Alabama
The important tourist places in the state are as follows:
- First White House of the Confederacy
- Civil Rights Memorial
- Alabama Shakespeare Festival
- Helen Keller’s Birth place
- Tuscumbia; Civil rights Museum
- State of Vulcan
- Birmingham; carver Museum
- W.C Handy Home and Museum
- Alabama Space and Rocket Center
- Huntsville; Moundville State Monument
- Moundville; pike pioner Museum
- Troy; USS Alabama Memorial Park
- Mobile; Russel Cave Nati
Colleges, Schools and Universities In Alabama
- American InterContinental University Online
- The Art Institute Online
- Byrant and Stratton College - Online
- Capella University
- DeVry University Online
- Ellis College - Online
- Grantham University Online
- Herzing College - Birmingham, Alabama
- ITT Technical Institute
- ITT Technical Institute - Online
- Jones International University Online
- Kaplan University - Online School
- Kennedy-Western University
- South University - Online
- University of Phoenix Online
- Westwood College of Technology - Online
- American College of Computer and Information Sciences
- Alabama A & M University
- Alabama State University
- Athens State University
- Auburn University Main Campus
- Auburn University-Montgomery
- Birmingham Southern College
- Concordia College
- Corona Institute and University Inc
- Faulkner University
- Heritage Christian University
- Huntingdon College
- Jacksonville State University
- Judson College
- Miles College
- Oakwood College
- Samford University
- Southeastern Bible College
- Southern Christian University
- Spring Hill College
- Stillman College
- Talladega College
- Troy State University Dothan
- Troy State University-Main Campus
- Troy State University-Montgomery
- Troy State University-Phenix City
- Tuskegee University
- United States Sports Academy
- University of Alabama
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- University of Alabama in Huntsville
- University of Mobile
- University of Montevallo
- University of North Alabama
- University of South Alabama
- University of West Alabama