Biogas is normally produced by using the excreta of animals as the source material.
In most of the countries where biogas is produced, the excreta of the cattle and other farm animals are used. In India gobar or cow dung is used for the purpose of making biogas. 20% of the excreta of animals is made up of dust particles that are inorganic in nature. The percentage of the inorganic dust particles is brought down by combining water with the excreta in a 1:1 ratio. The rate of feeding of any biogas manufacturing plant that is based on dung is 3,500 kilograms per day.
Under normal circumstances the microbial content of the biogas is maintained by the addition of 2% of the expended slurry of the slurry of the fresh dung. 1% calcium ammonium nitrate of the dung is combined with the slurry in such cases. At times waste of kitchens and excrement of human bodies is used in these processes. The human excreta are supposed to occupy, at the most, 3% of the slurry.
The addition of human excreta is crucial in this context as it increases the amount of production of biogas. This is because human excreta have high nitrogen content. The ideal temperature for producing biogas is within 35 to 38 degrees Celsius. If the temperature is lower than that then the production of biogas may go down as well. If the temperature is 15 degree Celsius then it would be impossible to produce any biogas.
This is precisely the reason as to why thermal insulation is necessary to produce biogas when it is the winter season or at places where the temperatures are normally lower than the requisite level. The heating of digesters is also pretty important in this regard. The pH of the slurry has to be close to 7. This is pretty much possible provided that cow dung is employed in the form of a substrate. If favorable conditions may be provided then as much as sixty liters of biogas may be produced for one kilogram of cow dung.
The digesters that are used for the purpose of production of biogas can be used in mesophilic conditions, which mean a temperature range of 20 to 25 degrees Celsius to 40 to 45 degrees Celsius. The digesters can also be run in thermophilic conditions, where the temperature range is from 50 to 55 degrees Celsius to 60 to 65 degrees Celsius.
Both these conditions call for separate species of bacteria. It is thought that the mesophilic operations are more safe and stable than the thermophilic operations that are capable of inactivating the parasites of animals and the various pathogens.
WGL Holdings, through its subsidiaries, sells and delivers natural gas and provides a variety of energy-related products and services to customers in Washington and the surrounding metropolitan areas in Maryland and Virginia in the US. ...
Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) is a vertically integrated energy company operating through its subsidiaries. The company is engaged in the following activities: generation, transmission, distribution, and supply of electricity; ...
Nouriel Roubini, a.k.a. “Doctor Doom”, is chairman of Roubini Global Economics and professor of economics at New York University’s Stern School of Business. Roubini has been consistently cited as one of the world’s top global thinkers. This year, he was voted as the most influential economist in the world by Forbes magazine.
CEO and co-CIO of PIMCO. Served as President and CEO of the Harvard Management Company for 2 years, while also working at the IMF for 15 years. In 2008, his book "When Markets Collide", won the Financial Times award for Business Book of The Year in addition to being named as the one of the best business books of all time by The Independent.
QFINANCE is a unique collaboration of more than 300 of the world’s leading practitioners and visionaries in finance and financial management, covering key aspects of finance including risk and cash-flow management, operations, macro issues, regulation, auditing, and raising capital.
Vice President and Director of the Global Economy and Development Program at the Brookings Institution. Former Turkish Minister of State for Economic Affairs. Head of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) from 2005-2009.
Andrea Edwards has worked in marketing and communications all over the globe for 20 years, and is now focused on her passion – writing. A gifted communicator, strategist, writer and avid blogger, Andrea is Managing Director of SAJE, a digital communications agency, and The Writers Shop – a regional collaboration between the best business writers in Asia Pacific
James W. Harpel Professor of Capital Formation and Growth at the John F. Kennedy School of Government in Harvard University. Director of Program in International Finance and Macroeconomics at the National Bureau of Economic Research.