The Banki Kuu Ya Kenya is the central bank of Kenya. The bank was established in the year 1966 through the Central Bank of Kenya Act, 1966.
Important responsibilities of the bank are as follows:
- Issuing the currency and notes
- Implementing the foreign exchange policies
- the foreign exchange reserves
- Supervising the money market
- Acting as a banker, and fiscal agent to the government
The Central Bank of the country is governed by a Board of Directors, consisting of eight members. The members include a Governor, who is the chairman of the bank, the Deputy Governor, who is the deputy chairman, the Permanent Secretary to the Treasury, and five other non-executive directors. All the members are appointed by the President for a period of four years.
The Address and Contact details of the bank is as follows:
Central Bank of Kenya
Address: P.O. Box 60 000 Nairobi KENYA
Fax: ++254-2-34 01 92